REGISTERING THE BIRTH
Registering a child born within a marriage
A close family member can register the birth. The following is needed:
– Medical delivery report (this form is provided by the hospital where the delivery took place or by the midwife in the case of a homebirth)
– DNI (National Identification Card) of the parents
– Libro de Familia (or marriage certificate duly legalised and translated, as appropriate)
Registering a child born outside marriage
In this case, a declaration is required from both parents, with the father and the mother going to register the birth in person, providing the following documentation:
– Medical delivery report (this form is provided by the hospital where the delivery took place or by the midwife in the case of a homebirth.
– The parents’ DNIs
– Indication of the mother’s marital status
If a prior marriage existed, the legal presumption of paternity must be removed by providing: – Marriage certificate (with the corresponding note), and the separation or divorce decree (witnessed)
In the case of a de facto separation, two witnesses must accompany the interested party to the Register
LIBRO DE FAMILIA
A Libro de familia serves both as a marriage certificate and as a document where your children are registered. If you are not married, you will receive your Libro de familia when you register your first child.
For more information (in Spanish) about registering a birth see the Ministerio de Justicia website here.